Outdoor Fireplace Reviews
Outdoor fireplaces make an awesome addition to any patio, deck or backyard; providing warm cozy heat which always enhances the atmosphere whether you have family gathering or a party with friends.
Outdoor fireplaces enhance and enrich the time during the year that you can entertain outside too, bringing much needed heat to those early (spring) or fall months. Not to mention all those long fun summer nights.
There is something very special about everyone sitting around an outdoor fireplace having a lovely time as fireside chats are always the best!
You have options for outdoor fireplaces from portable fireplaces to permanent ones. Here is our review of the best outdoor fireplaces that will enhance the feel on your patio, deck or backyard.
With so many different varieties, we review the 7 best types to help you narrow down your choice.
1. Sunjoy Outdoor Fireplace With Chimney
- Different sizes of fireplaces with chimneys
- Comes with spark proof screens
- Some come with built in log storage
- Perfect for heating whilst creating amazing ambiance
- Easy to light a fire and keep it going once lit.
If you’re serious, you should start your investigations by checking out the Sunjoy range of wood-burning outdoor fireplaces with chimneys.
We think they are ace, very well built and well worth the money. And the reviews on Amazon come to the same conclusion as us. The bulk of the reviews are 5 stars.
The great thing about Sunjoy fireplaces are that they are made of stone and manufactured with steel chimneys meaning whilst they look great they will last a really long time. But that makes them heavy so they aren’t made to be portable, instead they more suit a permanent position.
We like the brand because of the way they are made and they work well, to be plain and simple about it, but if log fires aren’t for you then be sure to check out their range of propane fireplaces too.
- They are probably the best looking fireplaces with chimneys on the market
- It’s easy to light fires and keep them going, as the grate is off the ground allowing air to circulate from underneath.
- Easy to clean out the ash and embers as the grates are fully removable
- Rust-resistant powder-coated steel chimneys
- Mesh screen doors stop sparks from coming out the fireplace making them much safer
- Smoke is directed up and away from everyone sat or stood near the fire
- The stone retains the heat from the fire making it very efficient and warmer for longer
- They are made from high quality materials (steel and stone) so are abit pricey
- Works best in a permanent position (not ideal if you are looking for a moveable fireplace)
Majestic Villawood Outdoor Wood Burning Fireplace
Majestic are a 30 year old ‘go to’ brand for outdoor fireplaces and should make any outdoor wood burning fireplace shortlist.
Viewing Area: 42″W x 20 7/8″H
Framing Dimensions: 48″W x 39 3/4″H x 21 1/2″D
- Traditional or herringbone brick interior
- Stainless steel safety firescreen
- Dual gas knockouts
- Outside air standard
- UL & ULC listed
- 36″ x 20-7/8″ viewing area
So you get a steel grate, fire screen, and you can decide between the two different options for the bricks. Those are either the traditional brick or a herringbone brick interior, for an authentic masonry look.
The one we have reviewed is the 42 inch but they have a smaller, 32 inch wide, wood burning fireplace for anyone working with a smaller area.
- Dual gas knockouts (so you could convert to gas)
- 10 year warranty
- Available in 2 sizes (42” & 32”)
- Available with 2 interior brick options
- Stainless steel fire screen
- The chimney is an extra requirement
Natural Gas Outdoor Fireplace Sets
OK so for those of you feeling really adventurous, with this style of gas fireplace you could upgrade your whole outdoor seating area to match…?
Outland makes awesome outdoor equipment which deserves to be on this list as it’s super long lasting and very functional.
- 100% smoke free
- Variable flame height
- Push button lighting
- Powder coated aluminum frame
- UV resistant polymer wicker
- 5 different sizes and styles within the range
- Stainless steel burner
The 403 fire table series is the largest in size that Outland makes. The 403’s have a 50,000 BTU/HR output. The size is L 44″ x W 32″ x H 24″. So at size you could comfortably fit 10 people round this table.
If you want something smaller in size but still want the same 50,000 BTU output then check out their 420 range. The size of the 420 fire tables are L 30” x W 30” x H 24”.
Napoleon Vent Free Propane Fireplace
This gorgeous contemporary looking, outdoor propane fireplace, is vent free and can be viewed from both sides – giving it twice the appeal!
- BTUs: 55,000
- Viewing Area: 47.5”W x 16.5”H
- Gas Saving Electronic Ignition With Battery Backup
- No Venting – Must Be Installed Outdoors
- Certification: CSA, ANSI
- 5 Year Limited Warranty
- Included Items: Fireplace, Burner, Electronic Ignition, Topaz Glass, Glass Wind Deflector, LED Lights
- Option for 5 different LED flame colors
- Limited 3-year warranty
- High end stainless steel build quality
- Auto safety cut off valve
Outdoor Gas Burner Kits (DIY)
Prefer to build your own outdoor fireplace? You just need a gas burner kit, well look no further!
Available for natural gas or propane use with the same BTU output as per below:
Natural Gas – With the 24-inch model output is 36,000 BTU & 40,000 BTU in the 30-inch model.
Propane – 24-inch model output is 36,000 BTU and 40,000 BTU in the 30-inch model.
These burners are designed for installation in a firebox or outdoor fireplace only.
- Stainless steel top
- Freestanding linear burner
- Battery powered electric ignition
- Variable height flame control
- 5 year limited warranty
Outdoor Deck Wood Stove
- Fuel Type: Wood
- Material: Galvanized Steel,
- Dimensions: 12.5″W. x 19″D. x 7.75’H
- Weight: 42.8 pounds (large size is 88 pounds)
This is an awesome portable patio wood stove.The smaller model weighs just 42.8 pounds meaning it’s easy to move, making it great for camping but also easy to store and bring out when you need it.
The larger model weighs 88 pounds so it still can be moved but would work better for a family as it kicks out more heat to warm everyone up. But bigger is also good as it makes the cooking alot quicker!
It has great ventilation from the chimney (and you add extensions to get it to the desired height.)
If you get this fire going and load it up with wood and reduce the airflow in, to a minimum, then it will burn for over an hour. Meaning you have plenty of cooking time. It also retains the heat well whilst lit and cools down quickly after usage making it brilliant to cook on whilst camping and still ‘moveable’ after eating/use.
- Easy to store due to its compact size
- Easy to move as its lightweight
- Easy to light and vents really well once lit
- Heat resistant fiberglass door gasket
Outdoor Fireplace Buying Guide
There are only a few factors that matter when trying to decide which is the best outdoor fireplace for your home.
It comes down to size but this will be dependent on the space in your backyard, deck or patio for the fireplace.
It also comes down to fuel type. This could be natural gas, propane or logs. The fuel type will dictate any smoking and therefore whether any venting is required.
Then lastly positioning, as this encompasses the previous two points to a certain extent as it is reliant on the size and space available but also the venting and wind direction.
Wood-Burning ‘vs’ Gas ‘vs’ Propane Fireplace
This is one of the most important aspects to consider when buying an outdoor fireplace. Each fuel source has its own set of unique advantages and disadvantages.
The benefits of wood burning fireplaces are that they create a natural ambiance that is unparalleled. They also don’t need any connection to gas or bottles. The major drawback is the smoke and having to manually light them.
Whilst a chimney fireplace takes care of the first problem making sure that the smoke is vented away from anyone enjoying the heat. The issue of having to manually light them cannot be overcome so easily. Of course fire lighters have simplified things to the extent where you can now light a wood fire in seconds and have it roaring within just a few minutes.
Having a backyard where you could source free firewood is a huge bonus but firewood can still simply be bought down at the store.
Natural Gas Fireplace
Natural gas fireplace can provide ‘on demand’ instant heat plus the added benefit of variable flame height. So unlike wood burning this means you can adjust the heat output from the fireplace. Too cold, simply turn it up; too hot then you can easily turn the heat down.
Propane fireplaces also provide instant on demand heat from ignition starters. They are slightly more expensive to run and have the added hassle of buying new bottles of gas but honestly that’s about the same as buying logs.
If you purchase a large enough propane fireplace then you will have the option to store the gas bottle somewhere out of sight.
With no spark, or venting required and a simple on/off operation they are one of the most popular fuel types for outdoor fireplaces especially on decks.
Different Styles Of Patio Fireplaces
Portable vs Permanent
The obvious benefit with a portable fireplace is that you can move it to store it when it’s not in use. Plus you can move it if you change the layout of any seating on your patio, deck or in your backyard. So it is definitely something to consider.
If you want a wood burning fire to cook with then having portability is a bonus as you can set it up where you want. This way you could divert smoke away from people or just set it up so it’s more comfortable to cook on.
Permanent outdoor fireplaces most typically will get connected up to the home gas line. But log fireplaces help to create amazing ambiance and you can cook on them too, the only drawback is they are usually more expensive than portable fireplaces.
Good luck with your choice. I hope this guide helped.